Monday, April 27, 2015

My Beauty Philosophy, Part 1

I think we're still friends 
because I cook a lot.
As women, our relationship with beauty is always changing. I turned 22 about a month ago and for almost a year; I’ve been deliberately single for the first time since high school. For me, those two factors have led to me really developing the idea of my own beauty.

I think the age that I’m at is a pretty common one for coming into one’s own routines and tastes regarding their beauty. I’ve gradually come around to being less interested in trends and more interested on what looks good on me, and I’m beginning to be old enough where it shows a little if I’m not taking care of my skin every day. I also know that it’s important to start taking care of my health now, so that I have healthy habits later and don’t have to play catch-up with my body.  For anyone, creating their routine is about two things: developing the idea of what one would like to look like, and the amount of time and effort they are willing to spend in order to work towards that.

I’ve also been single for almost a year now, but I haven’t been open to the idea of dating or talking to anyone new. Some people might not think it’s healthy, but I’ve always been somewhat accommodating to the tastes of the person that I’m seeing (or want to be seeing :P). I’ve chosen how to wear my hair and clothes because this boy likes my white pants, that boy likes to see me smiling, or another likes me wearing my hair away from my face.

It looks sexy pushed back.Image

To me, my looks are the least important thing about me. I’m not going to stop watching awful television or eating cloves of raw garlic for a boy, but it’s nothing to me to wear more blue or put on my glasses. So while I haven’t had a boyfriend, I’ve been thinking more about what makes me feel pretty and sort of fine-tuning that image.

The natural progression of this for me has involved spending an embarrassing amount of time reading beauty blogs. I’ve edited my skincare routine but I’ve also tried to make it into an actual routine. Like, hi Gabby, you have to wash your face EVERY night and put on sunscreen EVERY day. You’re pretending to be an adult now.


I’m trying to make my own philosophy and rules about beauty. I want to have good taste but I also want to care less what other people think about my taste. Ugh. I think I spend like more than ten hours a week on this shit. Like, what do boys do with all this extra time?

I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment